Monday 26 May 2014

How far away is that?

The spate of 'distant views only' continued today. Arrived at Bothal Pond this morning and spent an unproductive hour searching for the reported Red-backed Shrike. Thinking it had just passed through I headed for the coast. Nothing at Lynemouth Flash and just 4 Avocet and a few Black-tailed Godwit at Cresswell. Put off heading further north by the hordes of bank holiday trippers I headed back home. Passing Bothal I pulled over for a quick scan of the hedges and immediately picked up the shrike, a cracking male, perched out in the open. Good views through the scope, but very distant.

Red-backed Shrike
Gateshead was quiet this morning with no sign of the wagtail or Wood Sandpiper. 3 Hare on Ravensworth Fell were the highlights.

Hare

3 comments:

  1. Has there been any spotted flycatchers seen in gateshead yet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had one briefly in Whickham, but no sign since. They did nest in Gibside last year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm pretty sure some nested near causey arch last year, I checked the area this morning and drew a blank

    ReplyDelete