Thursday 30 October 2014

So close

Spent this afternoon dipping the Eastern Crowned Warbler at Brotton. I did see the bird, but just fleeting views in silhouette and I can't bring myself to tick it. I came so close again, missing by seconds after being led down the wrong track and then stalled by a bloke unable to climb the fence across the path. "It's just dropped" were the words in my ear as I lifted my bins and that was it as the light faded. Good to get the heart pumping again after a lacklustre Scillies, but I would have preferred a better outcome.

Started the day seawatching at Whitburn. Highlights were 4 Pomarine Skua and a Fieldfare that flew in off just inches from the sea.

0735-0930

Goldeneye    4n  1s
Shag    1n
Wigeon    127n
Common Scoter    33n  1s
Mallard    16s
Little Gull    31s
Teal    6n
Eider   5n
Dunlin    9s
Red-breasted Merganser    1n
Shelduck    1n
Long-tailed Duck    1n
Turnstone    4s
Redwing    22 in off
Pomarine Skua    4n
Red-throated Diver    1 on sea
Great Northern Diver    1s
Fieldfare    1 in off

Huge numbers of thrushes were arriving all morning, but a good thrash around Marsden failed to turn up anything more exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment