Sunday 4 January 2015

Hen Harrier

The bird of the day was almost the first that I saw. A second look at what I took as a Wood Pigeon sitting on a wall by the road from Seahouses to Bamburgh made me slam the brakes on. Just 30 feet away was a pristine male Hen Harrier staring back at me. Spooked as I reached for the camera bag, it was off over the fields to the west.

Arriving at Budle Bay to the news that the Barnacle Geese had flown off I had to make do with a couple of small flocks of Brent Geese. Other year ticks picked up here were Knot, Bar-tailed Godwit and Grey Partridge.

A mixed flock of Twite and Linnet were in the fields at Stag Rocks, but the sea here was very quiet. I think that this is the first time that I've been here when there have been no grebes or divers. There were at least 12 Long-tailed Duck and new for the year were Common Scoter, Guillemot and Shag.

Eider at Stag Rocks

With calm seas the Black-necked Grebe was outside the harbour at Seahouses and a couple of Rock Pipit were flitting about the pier.

Moving south a small mixed flock of Whooper and Mute Swan were at Buston Links.

East Chevington held similar birds to yesterday, but the Hen Harrier failed to show at Widdrington. No sign of the Green-winged Teal at Druridge or the Black Redstart at Newbiggin where a few Sanderling and Turnstone were below the cliffs.

Sanderling
Last stop for Northumberland was Woodhorn where a White-fronted Goose was picked eventually in a flock of Greylags.

White-fronted Goose
Sun-down at Burdon Moor failed to provide any owls.

No comments:

Post a Comment