Thursday 1 October 2015

Red-eyed Vireo

With all quiet I decided to head to Scilly early. After an all day train journey and a night in Penzance I boarded the Scillonian on Tuesday morning and had a fairly bump-free crossing. Very few birds, but a flyby Grey Phalarope and a distant Common Dolphin enlivened the journey. With a couple of hours to kill I had a run round the island with 2 Lapland Bunting on the air field the highlight.


Lapland Bunting
On to St Agnes, my home for the next week and a half, for a prolonged, but unsuccessful hunt for the Red-eyed Vireo. I did manage a Yellow-browed and 2 Reed Warbler.

A much more successful start yesterday morning. After half an hour of staring into the Fruit Cage I heard loud bill snapping behind me and turned to see the Red-eyed Vireo perched in the open, just 15 feet away. A superb bird, giving excellent views for 30 seconds before disappearing.


Red-eyed Vireo


Also in the area were 1-2 Yellow-browed Warbler, Grasshopper Warbler and 2 Reed Warbler. The afternoon was a trip to Gugh where I had 2 Wryneck, but only fleeting flight views.

More of the same this morning with 2 Yellow-browed Warbler, 2 Reed Warbler and a Firecrest. The weather is beautiful, but we could with some rain to shake things up a bit.


Yellow-browed Warbler

No comments:

Post a Comment