Tuesday 12 July 2016

Second stint

Dipping the Temminck's Stint at Newton yesterday was made worse as I got home to the news that it had been re-found. I'd been pretty sure that it would still be there, but after 2 hours it failed to creep out of the grass. Pretty quiet here with just 10 Dunlin and a Black-tailed Godwit.

An early start this morning was more successful. Arriving at Newton Scrape just after 06.30 I was initially disappointed, with no sign of the stint and only one Dunlin with the Godwit. Luckily after 20 mins and a change of angle I picked up the stint appear from the grass on an island at the north end of the scrape. It spent the next half an hour showing well, but a bit distant for photos. The camera didn't come out of the bag today, poor phone-scoped shots only.

Temminck's Stint

Stopping to pick up a sausage sarnie from Seahouses, I headed up to Stag Rocks. Plenty of auks passing well out to sea, but otherwise quiet apart from a smart Whimbrel.

Whimbrel

On the way back south I timed my visit to East Chevington well, as the four Roseate Tern left just a few minutes after I got there. An adult female Marsh Harrier was near the south pool, but no sign of the juveniles.

Roseate Tern
Quiet in Gateshead with 3 Common Sandpiper on the Tyne yesterday and 2 juvenile Water Rail at Shibdon today.


No comments:

Post a Comment